The History of My Hair - A Wild Ride

If you've ever met me, you'd know that I like to change my hair colour and cut. Frequently. Like, very frequently. So I thought I'd give you guys a run down of the craziness that is my locks.

For most of my younger life, I had long, thick, brown hair. I dabbled with having bangs for a little when I was eleven, but they grew out and I couldn't be bothered getting them cut again. I was eleven, remember. I also had always wanted to cut my hair short, but Mum wasn't keen and never let me. So for most of my life, I looked like this:


And then, for some reason, just before my sixteenth birthday I decided to dye it black and cut a fair bit off - as much as I was allowed. It was still pretty long, if we're being honest. I don't know what compelled me to do it, but I loved it. This was the beginning of what was to become a hair colour obsession.


It was a semi permanent dye, so it slowly faded out to a dark brown, a mere shade or two darker than my natural hair. About five or six months later, I got blonde highlights put in, and I got my bangs back.


I had this for a while, the next seven months or so. Then, a few days after I turned seventeen, I dyed it purple. Because that's what every teenager does when they turn seventeen.


It lasted about two weeks, during which time my long term boyfriend and I broke up. So, two days after we split, I made myself feel better the only way I knew how. I dyed my hair again. Dark purple-ish red. Which was basically black.


Now, across the next four and a bit months, I put a few different rinses through my hair, all of which ended up just going the same dark, reddish brown as pictured above. During this time, I also started seeing a new guy, and about two months later, I finally did it. I chopped it all off - well, almost. I owed my new man (who I am still with, by the way) for giving me the confidence to actually do it.  And chucked some blonde foils in it while I was at it.


Short hair is the BEST THING EVER. However, about two and half months later (late January, early February 2015), I put pink highlights among the blonde highlights, then when they faded out, I dyed it pink, and I sadly don't have photos of either. They washed out, and it gradually went back to the chestnut brown you see above.

At this point, I think my wallet and split ends would probably be thankful if I could say, "And that's everything," but that'd be a lie. Because I went dirty blonde in April.


Then at the beginning of June, I went red. Now, I LOVE red hair and spent ages trying to convince my mother to let me do bright red. Then I did it and it was awesome.


Aaaaaaand then I cut it all off. Near the end of June, just before my eighteenth in July, I got a pixie cut. Which I still have today. I've had the same hair for a month now and I'm very proud.


I don't know what will happen next, but I'm content being a fire pixie for now. I feel like this look suits me and compliments how I feel about who I am, which is so important to me.

Brown, black, blonde, purple, pink, red - I've done it all. I hope you enjoyed hearing about how indecisive I am! I really hope that if you're unsure about whether or not to take a risk and go for that new look, my adventures can help you see how much fun change can be. When it comes right now to it, it's just hair - it grows back! Experiment, have fun, and just do weird stuff.

Kelz x

Unknown

Kelz Leece is a beauty and style blogger from New Zealand, with a love of quirky ideas and vintage fashion. Styled By was launched in mid 2015 and involved style tips and tricks, make-up looks, random rambles and all sorts of fashion madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment