Thoughts By Kelz - W7 "In The Mood" Palette Review

Hey look, what's this? A blog post? By Kelz? What a strange and foreign concept!

Jokes aside, I've been super slack about this whole blog shenanigans, so I'm back with a whole pile of ideas to share so bring it on!

Today, I'm going to share my thoughts on a recent addition to my make up stash - the "In The Mood" eyeshadow palette by W7 Cosmetics.



It's a pretty cute palette -  nice and compact, with a sturdy metal case for transport.

I scored this bad boy for about $9 at an outlet sale I went to a couple of weeks ago, and I'll be honest, for the price it cost me, I wasn't expecting much. However, when I opened it, I fell in love with the colours.




The six shades include;
- Shrimp, a shimmery pale beige colour with a peachy/pink undertone
- Oops, a matte yellow-toned beige
- Venice, a matte pink-toned beige
- Wink, a matte pale brown
- Katie, a matte dark brown
- And Cargo, a matte black.

Sure, they may seem like very basic nude colours to the average eye but these were the colours my collection was missing. I have very little in the way of matte neutrals, which are an essential in any make up kit, so my original impression of the colours was a very positive one. The colour are perfectly combined in this palette and complement each other nicely. My favourite aspect of the colour combination was how beautifully Shrimp acted as a highlighter that set off the pink undertones in most of the matte colours, such as Venice and Wink. The only downside I felt about the colour combinations was the I felt that Oops was very out of place and didn't work well with the tones of the other colours, due the the yellowness of the shade. It just didn't have the same warm pink, which disappointed me. I'm not usually a pink sort of girl but that's what tied this palette so nicely together for me, so meh.

Anyway, swatch time! Yay! I used my usual concealer as a base for all of my swatches (L.A Girl Cosmetics Pro Conceal HD Concealer in light ivory), as opposed to a white base, as I felt the warmth of the colours needed a warm base to help bring out the best of the colours, which I felt a white base wouldn't do.


(Left: Wink, Right: Shrimp)


(Left: Katie, Right: Oops)


(Left: Cargo, Right: Venice)

(From left to right, top: Cargo, Katie, Wink.
From left to right, bottom: Venice, Oops, Shrimp)

The first thing I noticed when applying the colours (using a standard eyeshadow paddle brush) was that Cargo and Katie were really chalky and you had to pack the colour on in order to really get a smooth application of colour. However, once they were on, the colours were bold, even, and they actually blended out pretty easily. I think that if you're going to get this palette, you can't be afraid of wearing a lot of eyeshadow, as this palette looks best when going hard out. If you're shy about bold colour, this palette is not for you. 

I had a few notes about some of the shades: 

Cargo, despite the chalky application, is a fantastic, smokey black shade. The blended shadow honestly reminded me of smoke, and I think I'll be wearing Cargo a LOT.

Oops impressed me more when it was on than when it was in the tin. I think the concealer actually lifted up the yellowness in all of the other colours, and it made this colour complement the palette a lot more. So if you ask me, wear a coloured base under this shade as opposed to a white one.

Shrimp is took pretty. 'Nuff said.

This look used Wink as my base colour, Shrimp as a highlight and Katie/Cargo as crease colours as well as under my eye, and I loved how they turned out. A simple, neutral, smokey eye look worked so well with this palette.

Overall, this little beauty packed a lot of bang for its buck. Affordable, but versatile colours. If you're in need of any eyeshadow basics, I'd definitely recommend the "In The Mood" palette as a fantastic option that gives you high value for money. The only let down was the chalkiness of some of the darker shades, like Katie and Cargo, but I think that with a good eyeshadow base and some good blending skills, it's not a big issue.

8.5/10 from me!

Keep tuned for some more fashion/beauty posts coming soon.

Kelz x

Unknown

Kelz Leece is a beauty and style blogger from New Zealand, with a love of quirky ideas and vintage fashion. Styled By was launched in mid 2015 and involved style tips and tricks, make-up looks, random rambles and all sorts of fashion madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment